Monday, December 12, 2011

Move It Along, There, You

Shortly after 7:30pm I had stopped into a major chain store to get a few things on the way home from dropping off two of hubby's hockey jerseys to have team captains' names and numbers sewn on professionally (Xmas/Hanukkah present). Naturally, the lines were long because it's holiday shopping season.

As I'd reached the head of line #2, one of the managers made chit chat with the cashier to complain that the customers end up bunched up on one side of the sea of registers or the other. She barked at anyone who was listening: "There's no line on 6! You guys need to move up!"

Really?!?

After she walked away, I remarked to the cashier that the manager should return to management school. The cashier, a lady who looked to be a few years older than I (early fifties), bowed her head and said nothing.

Come to think of it, this would need to be a quality management school. This gal seemed to think she was a lunch aide in an elementary school cafeteria. Or a mess hall sergeant. Imagine the nerve of the customers not being where she "needed" them to be. Sheep, or cattle?

This customer does not wish to be treated as a child or a farm animal. Price is certainly a factor when I decide where to shop, especially for major purchases, but service is a factor too. I have plenty of choices, and will remember this experience.

I did look for a "leave feedback" section on the store's web site, but only found feedback pages for specific situations. I called their toll free feedback line but it had closed for the day. I do plan to call tomorrow, since I believe in giving direct feedback where it has a chance of being useful.

Still, I find that I have a bad taste in my mouth...but thank you for listening.

No comments: