Friday, January 13, 2012

Time to Change

OK fess up. How many of you 40 and 50 somethings thought of the Peter Brady solo in the song "Time to Change" just now? Funny, the things we remember...

My original motivation for that title was very different, of course. At my tender age in my late forties, I have had the pleasure and wonder of working for the same boss for 18 years. He retired at the end of December. He was a wide lens visionary. He has been succeeded by his former second in command, who is more detail oriented, sharply focused, and historically more demanding and less patient. Although he has pledged to carry forth the prior culture of the department as much as possible, significant changes are on tap.

What, me worry? Some say I'd be well advised to worry. Well, I might be a bit concerned, but what will I do about it? I'm taking the constructive, proactive approach. I'm trying to anticipate what it will mean for the group I lead to fit in with the groups who already reported to our new boss, and ramp up accordingly. It will be a faster pace but there will be more opportunity for learning and for increasing the effectiveness of my group. It will be more challenging but should be more exciting.

My office is a fantastic place to work, and I believe that my reaction to the curves in the road ahead will partially determine how much it stays a fantastic place for me -- not to mention the seven people who report to me. I owe it to them too, as well as to my family -- even if the economy and the job market weren't so tough right now.

Kicking, screaming, whining, backstabbing, resisting, sabotaging? So much effort to shovel it against the tide, and for what? To be known as a complainer or subversive or do-nothing or obstructionist? Uh uh, not me. I'm going for the good stuff.

No comments: