Friday, August 7, 2009

All Good Gifts

This week I've been listening to (yet another) book on CD, former Prez Bill Clinton's "Giving." Yes I know I am in no need of enthusiasm or uplifting spirit on a regular basis, but he describes an incredible variety of philanthropic activities around the globe, many of which were unknown to me.

Since my boys never wanted to join a scout troop, I am always keen in the back of my mind to have them take on volunteer activities sometime. They do enjoy shopping with me for the Brookhaven food pantry, from our collections at the office, which I do about once a year, and they loved it when we went to an INN soup kitchen this past winter to donate money and a blanket I had crocheted. They seem to like watching me create all the afghans for Schneider Children's Hospital. They have participated in a few cancer walks with me, and they have done a few school sponsored activities (e.g. Hoops for Heart).

I heard about a site called volunteermatch.org in Mr. Clinton's book, and looked there last night. They have listings of events in local areas that need volunteers (once you supply your ZIP code). I'm going to follow up on an Easter Seals walk/run that will be held near our house in September, to see whether the kids and I can help there.

I haven't checked this out yet, but for people who want to donate funds to something innovative, kiva.org accepts $25 or more which you may earmark for a fledgling entrepreneur somewhere in the world. Sounds like this could really make a difference in a family's life, much more directly than making some other kinds of contributions.

Let's all be grateful for all we have to make our lives rich (the least of which would be materially based). It's a beautiful Long Island Friday.

No comments: