Thursday, January 21, 2010

House of Yacks

Our friends' playful, big-eyed one year old baby girl was the carrier of a potent stomach virus that wreaked havoc on my household earlier this week. Here I thought it was the eggplant I cooked for dinner on Monday...no guilt though...after retracing our steps from Sunday, we checked with our friends and sure enough their deadly gastronomical experience began that evening, just hours after we'd all been together. Ugh. All five of us were home suffering on Tuesday. Never seen anything like it.

Took lots of ribbing in my office over it. Our administrative support person told me she'd been here eleven years and had never remembered my calling in sick. I think she's right. The last time I had a stomach virus was twelve years ago when I was pregnant with Son #2. If I never get one again, it'll be too soon. I am hereby grateful for some pretty basic things:
  • eating without apparent strategy (to calm a queasy belly, to balance fiber content)
  • having a cold drink (which one can't do with a sick stomach)
  • tasting yummy food (instead of having food taste like tin)
  • roaming freely about the house (instead of being confined to the couch)
  • lack of a headache (as opposed to two full days of Tylenol having no effect)
Still, I'm not quite sure when I'll be able to look at eggplant parmigiana again...

No comments: