Monday, December 20, 2010

Some Do Spring Cleaning...

Yeah I know I'm not typical...not a news flash! I had gotten a postcard from Big Brothers Big Sisters announcing that they would be driving through my neighborhood today. So I thought it would be great to do one more charitable donation in 2010, and I already had a pile of stuff that Son #3 had recently said was too small for him (i.e. the end of the line in our family).

Yesterday morning, while two of the three were at religion and the other had his nose in a reading assignment, I went through and made a list of all the items to be donated. It wasn't nearly time to pick up the kids yet, so I decided to look through the bins in the basement to see what else might be appropriate. It was like The Sorcerer's Apprentice; each time I saw a bin that might have a few items that would be too small or not suitable for my fussy little fashion prince, I realized that there were a few more applicable things in the bin behind it.

So there were lots of summer shirts and shorts that will be too small by next year...and a bunch of long pants in the size 6 bin that won't be long enough by next fall...and some extra hand-me-down winter clothes that fit him now but won't next winter. I also took the final step of donating all the old soccer cleats that the other two outgrew...since The Prince has made it clear that he is definitely not a team sports person. No cleats needed to climb a tree or swing from the monkey bars.

Ultimately I filled three large clear trash bags and emptied four large plastic bins. No guilt with the time taken, because all the Christmas stuff is already done. Feels great! Should I have been doing all that six days before Christmas? Of course not...but what the hey...

No comments: