Monday, January 24, 2011

Being a Fan

Anyone else have this problem? You're trying to watch a sporting event (live or televised) or even do another activity in the same room (or house) as someone else who's watching a televised sporting event...and you have to listen to a pessimistic, defeatist commentary if things aren't going 100% right 100% of the time.

Doesn't matter what it is. The other team scores. Our team missed scoring. One of our guys missed making a great play. One of our guys didn't prevent a guy on the other team from making a great play. The ref decided in the other team's favor. etc. etc. etc. We could be down by one point, but "we're going to lose." There could be no score at all, but because one of the above occurred, "I should just shut the TV right now, because this game is over." This could occur two minutes into the game, even...which, particularly in the case of football, is beyond ridiculous!

When I ask for this loud (and often vulgar) display to be curtailed, I'm told "that's what it is to be a fan." Really? What happened to cheerleading? What happened to holding out hope until the last second that your squad can pull out a win (or, in hockey, a respectable tie)? Does it make sense to call everyone involved, including coaches and owners, every dirty name in the book...and then, during their next game, to do a complete 180 if they happen to be winning and say they're the greatest team that ever lived?

Drives me nuts! I prefer to demonstrate my loyalty, and consistency, in a different way. If they sucked all season, I still love 'em as much as the season when they took the championship. Now I think I'm a real fan. I've gotta be. The New York Mets? The New York Islanders? C'mon.

No comments: