Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Will Work for Cookies

This morning we all went out to shovel the ten or so inches of snow that the latest winter storm dumped on us overnight. After we ate lunch, we called my mother to let her know we were on our way over to shovel her out. At age 75, with moderate to severe osteoarthritis in both her knees, she can't do it herself. She was thrilled to tell us that her neighbor's son John brought over his snow blower and cleared most of her two car driveway, so there wasn't that much for us to do when we got there. But she was stumped about how to thank him. I volunteered to pick up something from the local Italian bakery (since all traditional Italian families tend to appreciate that sort of thing).

I had really wanted some struffoli but they didn't have any, so I settled for a pound of assorted cookies. When we arrived at Mom's I went straight across the street with the cookies. The dad answered the door and was astounded about the cookies, so appreciative. The mom opened the front window and told me how crazy my mom was to make me do that. The son came over a few minutes later to thank us. They all seemed to think that we were awfully nice to make a small gesture after John had done my mom a great favor without being asked. I look upon it as feeding a basic human need for validation, appreciation, and also a good relationship with one's neighbors. Besides, even though it probably only took him ten minutes, it was a big relief for Mom.

Smiles all around after we left Mom's. We stopped at the new 7-11 down the road from there, and the kids got a treat. The older two got hot cocoa. The little guy got a sticky honey bun. Hubby said his blood sugar was rising from merely smelling it. Of course, in the five minute ride home, it was completely consumed down to the finger licking afterwards. Sweet...

No comments: