Friday, April 22, 2011

Being Mama Bear

Last night I was doing a bit of work in the bedroom with the laptop, and hubby was in the shower. It was after 9:30pm and the three amigos were in the living room (other end of the house) playing "slap ball" which is supposed to be rolling a small rubber ball around among them. What it really turns into after a few minutes is the ball ricocheting off walls and furniture and the three of them screaming like banshees.

At 9:50 with hubby finishing his shower and about to hear the level of noise that had been ratcheted up up up, I tweeted in desperation about how I was not looking forward to going out there and being Mama Bear to enforce the kids' 10pm bedtime (not a school night since spring break is still in full swing). It was really just a small shout out to other parents who would understand, who'd been there themselves. However, my friend Bob replied on Facebook that he applauded me because not all parents understand that "parenting is sometimes about being a parent, NOT a best friend!"

That's very true and, after almost 15 years of being a parent, it has become weirdly automatic. I don't often point it out or specifically consider it. On Wednesday afternoon, when the boys and I were enjoying a leisurely stroll through the nature preserve, we were best friends. When Son #2 and I went ice skating on Tuesday, we were best friends. When we played Rummikub the other day, and the winners were razzing the unlucky, we were all the best of friends. When I tuck them in at night, and we do hugs and kisses and talk about the day, sometimes we're best friends and sometimes I'm a parent...but I don't think about it -- it just happens.

No comments: