Monday, April 25, 2011

Spinach Shocker

Once every week or two, I make a stupidly easy recipe for spinach croquettes...don't normally use processed foods like this but it's one of only two ways I can get my kids to eat spinach.

Steam one 10 oz. box of frozen chopped spinach. Drain. Add one stick of butter or margarine and stir 'til it melts. Beat in four eggs. Add a handful of onion flakes, some garlic powder, and half a cup of grated Parmesan (or Locatelli or a mixture). Crush the contents of one box of Stove Top stuffing (any flavor you like) and mix well. Shape into croquettes (I use a cookie scoop) and bake at 350 'til outsides get crispy.

Well, this week was Passover so I substituted some matzo meal for the stuffing mix, thinking that it would be passable but not great. I added plenty of extra spices to compensate for the dullness of the matzo and the flavor that the stuffing contains. The croquettes came out more densely packed than they normally would, which was natural. However...what I did not expect was that two of the three kids liked them BETTER! Why? Because the spinach was not loosely hanging out the sides of the croquettes, and it was so tightly wound up with the matzo meal that it was actually hard to discern that there were actual leaves of spinach in there. Go figure.

Maybe next time I'll try half a box of stuffing mix with some matzo meal. Good thing I have always thought that it is possible to teach old dogs new tricks. Oy vey...

No comments: