Thursday, June 16, 2011

Off the Food Wagon

Ever been to downtown Philadelphia near the convention center? Yes? Ever visit a place called the Reading Terminal Market? Yes? I hope you have a great exercise plan and a lot of self control.

The terminal market reminds me of Quincy Market in Boston. So many different kinds of food stands, including: cheesesteaks (obviously), Chinese, falafel, seafood, Italian, Cajun, Indian, frankfurters, ice cream, bakeries, Jewish deli, sushi...but also retail meats and fish and groceries and a big produce section in the back. The food orgy began when my coworkers and I arrived on Saturday at lunchtime and hit the hoagie stands towards the front of the market. Mine had meatballs, fresh oregano, and provolone. My two colleagues had corned beef, with homemade potato chips on the side.

Saturday night I was entertained by high school/college friends who live in the 'burbs...and we found a marvelous Mediterranean place that serves small plates like tapas. So we sampled some roasted veggies, chicken, beef, garlic infused gnocchi...mmmmmm. We walked around town for a while longer and then they steered me into a gelato parlor. Gadzooks, all those interesting flavors...I settled on a small scoop of banana chocolate. I can't eat like that under ordinary circumstances though...four or five little meals a day usually...so it was off to the fitness center that night...accessible 24 hours, 7 days a week in the hotel. 20 minutes on each of the elliptical, cycle, and stair stepper.

Sunday's lunch got a bit more creative. I'd walked around the historic section of Philly -- my one large chunk of sightseeing time -- and then wanted to eat before I went back to the hotel for another shower and then to change into work clothes and go over to the convention center. I had really wanted something from the Italian bakery towards the front of the market...so I decided to compromise. My appetizer was a horseshoe pastry with slivered toasted almonds and chocolate. Main course was a yummy shrimp cocktail...homemade sauce...the really large shrimp (yeah, oxymoron, I know). Dessert was a little chocolate cake with hazelnut cream from a bakery all the way in the back called the Flying Monkey. But yes I did go to the gym again that night...because although I did well with dinner (tilapia with roasted zucchini and spaghetti squash) my coworker noticed a Krispy Kreme shop as we were walking back to the hotel.

Monday I figured I had to try a cheesesteak for lunch -- the old "when in Rome" thing -- since we were headed home the next night. I'm not a red meat lover so I chose chicken with spinach, garlic, and provolone. Couldn't finish it, didn't try. That night our wonderful management team took us to an Oriental place -- similar format as the Mediterranean restaurant -- where I did okay with some veggie dumplings and some shrimp Pad Thai -- but sampled other people's desserts (chocolate lava cake and chocolate sorbet). Back on the elliptical and the exercycle after we returned to the hotel that night.

I could just about fit into my clothes after returning home, and back to my usual dietary regimen...but wow that was scary to fall into such habits for a few days and only be balanced by an hour of daily exercise which of course I can't do at home. I have been thinking of joining a gym but haven't yet taken the plunge. I am regarding this as a bullet dodged! We now return you to your regularly scheduled programming...whew...

No comments: