Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Bowled Over

A few weeks ago, I was preparing to go to Philly, and I knew I would miss my once-a-month Saturday bowling league. So I went over to the bowling alley to prebowl for the league. As I was at the desk receiving my lane assignment, I glanced over at the other side of the house, where a summer league was having its first night meeting. I thought I spotted an old friend from the volleyball era, whom I hadn't seen in years. Sure enough, I went over there, and there he was with his best buddy, like bookends...and I was catapulted back in time. No idea they were still bowling in leagues there, probably because we don't turn up on weeknights anymore.

Making a long story short, they needed another teammate, and hubby didn't want to do it, so I agreed. 8:30pm is late for me to start bowling on a weeknight (recalling that I'm usually up at 0500 or 0530) but what the heck. I've wanted to get back into a better groove -- I used to bowl on a weekly league for many years until I was 8 months pregnant with Son #1 (and I threw my high game that night, 231, with odd center of gravity...another story).

In the two weeks I've been on this league, I've been amazed by the level of skill. Normally a mixed league is just that -- mixed -- but this one has a lot of men compared to women, and a bunch of the ladies are really great bowlers too. One guy rolled a 299 last night. Our opponents had scratch totals of well over 700, and the last game 840 (for four players). I remain in awe! And I could use more sleep. :-)

No comments: