Thursday, November 10, 2011

Dig in Those Heels

I'm about 1/3 of the way through Wayne Dyer's audiobook about dumping excuses from your life. Although I don't subscribe to the religious parts, a lot of it does make sense, particularly about taking control of one's own path. It's odd because it completely aligns with the post I wrote about victimhood before I began to listen to this book.

I'm thinking mostly of two people. One is a relative who's in a truly miserable situation but has gotten into a pattern of inertia because the alternative is going to be the equivalent of the jump into the cold, deep pool and the swim against the current. The other is the friend who was recently widowed and must summon her strength and courage to make her way without her partner. Here are some quotes I've recently heard that sum up my feelings on the matter.

I believe that every person is born with talent. Maya Angelou

Happiness is not something ready made. It comes from your own actions. Dalai Lama

A man is but the products of his thoughts. What he thinks, he becomes. Mohandas Gandhi

Be miserable. Or motivate yourself. Whatever has to be done, it's always your choice. Wayne Dyer

No comments: