Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Con Queso

This morning I decided to skip my usual oatmeal and treat myself to an egg sandwich on the way to work.  I ordered one egg scrambled with cheese on an onion roll.  As I took the first bite while pulling the car onto the highway entrance ramp, something was missing.  No!  Maybe it was just the one edge of the sandwich.  Pulse quickening.  Second bite.  SIGH.  They forgot the cheese.

Eggs just don't taste the same when they're not surrounded by my beloved cheese.  When I get the occasional burger or taco, there's just got to be cheese or, to me anyway, what's the point?  I've often said I'm a cheeseaholic, but there are tried and true food combinations that just should not be separated.  [Imagine that; the spell checker informed me that "cheeseaholic" is not a recognized word.]

Had I been completely impulsive and torn into the sandwich before I'd left the curb, I would've gone back in to the shop...but I was more than a mile down the road and would've had to get off at the next highway exit to make a U-turn and go all the way back and...    Long story short, I just put up with the fact that I had sweet dough with yummy onion pieces and poppy seeds, and a thin flat slab of scrambled egg, not too much but not too little...and no gooey salty sticky cheese to complete the taste experience.

Hey, at least it wasn't raining.

No comments: