Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Maintaining the Chill

My April 29 post told the tale (and showed the photos) of hubby and Son #2 applying a temporary fix to our old fridge/freezer unit. While that definitely did the trick for a while, the beast began showing signs of slowing down. So...after we wolfed down the fresh fish that Son #1 and hubby caught yesterday at Captree (all right so I did cook it first) we charged over to Sears to take advantage of the last day of the 4th of July weekend appliance sale. 15% off plus another 5% if you use your Sears card. Ding ding ding, we have a winnah!

Couldn't get a 25 cubic foot model -- too wide and too deep (oh fercryinoutloud, save yer wisecracks) but we were able to get a decent not-too-small Kenmore model with a water dispenser and filtering system for under $1000. They do Sunday installations, yippee. Hubby fooled me...I thought he'd want stainless but he preferred black. My choice of bright yellow to paint the kitchen and dining room (whenever I get the chance to do that) is sounding better all the time.

So now we see how creative my cooking gets later this week, as I attempt to use as much as I possibly can from our current stores of food in the fridge and freezer. The fewer things we have to put in coolers on Sunday, the better. Tonight it'll be two kinds of sausage, spaghetti squash, and corn.

No comments: