Monday, November 30, 2009

Talking Turkey

I look back on Thanksgiving weekend. We celebrated in an unorthodox way: we went out to eat. Normally we go to my aunt and uncle in New Jersey, but they spent a few weeks with my cousin and her family in Illinois. My mother didn't want me to "fuss" for just six of us, so I made a reservation at Legal Sea Foods. It was a real treat for the rest of the family; I enjoy Legal during my annual business trip to Boston (where I am right now). None of us is especially partial to turkey, but we all think fish and shellfish are awesome.

One of the comments made at our table was that we were glad both grownups in our house have good jobs so we could afford a nice meal at a restaurant. Grandmother, father, and two older boys enjoyed a couple dozen clams on the half shell. We feasted on lobster bisque, stuffed shrimp, mussels, and ravioli in the shape of fish (can you tell which was from the kids' menu?). I had a carb free dinner so felt entitled to cheesecake. Boys had chocolate mousse parfaits, sans whipped cream (which really means a tall glass of mousse...sorta like ordering a sandwich sans bread).

That morning, we joined friends to participate in an adult/junior bowling tournament. The following day, we had lunch with my sister-in-law and her son, who was home from his first semester at Albany, and got to see my niece for a little while too. Friday evening we had dinner with friends (who are the parents of a boy and girl who grew up with our two younger sons in day care) and shared their Turkey Day leftovers (some of which became chili). Saturday we spent the afternoon with a close friend, C, whose eleven year old son was in town; normally he is with his mother in Massachusetts. C and I watched a DVD of Looney Tunes -- cartoons we grew up with but hadn't watched in years -- while all four boys strategically pursued one another with Nerf dart guns. That evening, we had chicken cutlets and home made steak fries as a yummy last meal together before I left for my business trip.

As I relax in my hotel room, I know that Thanksgiving has left me with a lot to be grateful for this year...not the least of which includes the two dips in the whirlpool since arriving here yesterday. You should know that I'm grateful for you, too, my friends, but I'll say it anyway just so you're sure.

No comments: