Monday, September 27, 2010

It's Raining WHAT?!?

Band camp weekend was held at a charming, well maintained place called Pine Forest Camp. Funny thing is, the entire campgrounds seemed to be overrun by oak trees, not pine trees. Every time a good breeze blew through, we had a rapid fire of acorns falling from above. This barrage sounded like gunfire when it hit the wooden cabins (one of the veteran chaperones called it The Blitzkrieg).

After a while I was laughing whenever I saw and heard it, except when my cabin mate got hit in the head with an acorn. They were landing in my crocheting as I sat on path patrol during rehearsals. They covered the ground everyplace. When we walked around, they were sometimes moving in synch like rollers, and we had to be careful not to lose our footing. People kept commenting that we never saw any squirrels eating the acorns. My theory is that they were full. We actually did see a few tiny squirrels throughout the trip, but there could've been thousands of them showing up at the all you can eat acorn buffet.

Wonder whether any squirrels read this blog. We'll soon find out. :-)

No comments: