Tuesday, August 2, 2011

The Power of Suggestion

Unfortunately, the power of suggestion is often used for nefarious purposes. Of course I try to spin things the other way, being a "so Pollyanna you could puke" optimist and sunny side of the street stroller. But it's hard to fight with one's unconscious.

Here's a case in point. A dear friend of mine grew up with a mean mother and mean older sister. Her dad, a real peach of a guy, made excuses for his wife and therefore enabled her behavior. Mean sister died decades ago. Mean mother died months ago. My friend, who grew up with a huge heart, married a man who was mean. Luckily she found the strength to get a divorce after raising two wonderful sons, with love and affection. Her second husband recognizes her for the inner beauty that she is. Her daughter-in-law is about to give birth to Granddaughter Number Three, into a family built on love.

Sounds like a happy ending, doesn't it? Well, mostly. Today my friend confided in me that she still has dreams about herself as a child, being told she's no good or not wanted. What a shame. I have never studied psychology but there's got to be something that this giving, thoughtful, intelligent, funny lady can do to conquer her childhood demons. Regardless, I'm going to keep giving her my unconditional support and try to push her chin up, Up, UP!

No comments: