Friday, September 9, 2011

Cabin Fever

I think I have to do a partial recant of my earlier comments about how teenage boys disdainfully disavow the social habits of females. Last night I heard several updates from my oldest about the frantic texting that was being done by 10th grade guys to try to secure cabin arrangements for next week's band camp trip.

Apparently one of the leaders of their social circle planted himself in the midst of a mostly freshman cabin (possibly to recruit new followers?) and there was a kerfuffle over who else would be able to fit into that cabin (max of 10). Son #1 found himself on the outskirts of the group and therefore seemed to be expendable according to the group. I recommended that he instead lead a few other friends, the consummate shy nice guys, to commandeer their own cabin and go for the sure thing. Less stress, as far as I can tell.

The alternative, waiting around to see whether someone can make room for him as a personal favor, seemed pathetic to me...but then again I'm much more socially secure as I am about to turn 47 and have enough personal supporters in my life that I can comfortably say I don't give a damn about anyone who's out to yank my chain. As a parent, I can say the words, but when all is said and done the teenager's emotional state is paramount and I must watch from my ringside seat while he works it out. Sigh.

I'll have to stay tuned for the outcome of today's episode of Book That Cabin.

No comments: