Monday, September 5, 2011

Senior Citizen?

Pshaw, not in my mind's eye or my memory. I'm talking about the great entertainment icon, Freddie Mercury, who would have been 65 years old today -- born Farrokh Bulsara on September 5, 1946 -- if he had not believed in living life to its fullest pleasures. Take this quote:

I always knew I was a star and now the rest of the world seems to agree with me.

I tip my hat to Newsday, our Long Island daily paper, for publishing that as the Cryptoquote in today's puzzle section.

I recall the first time I heard Queen's music. It was at the home of my godmother, the best friend of my mother. Her daughter Francie, a year and some months older than I, had the single (45 rpm) version of Bohemian Rhapsody and played it for me. I had gone to musical heaven! On that fateful day in 1975 I became a lifelong fan of Freddie, his music, and his persona...apparently along with millions upon millions worldwide.

When Freddie came to understand the seriousness of his illness (which we now know as AIDS) and began to attack his bucket list, e.g. the fabulous album he recorded with soprano Montserrat Caballe, there were probably other ideas he had which he didn't have the time or energy to pursue. I mourn the loss of those opportunities along with the memories of how I enjoyed all the music when it was new, and especially the one Queen concert I got to see live. Madison Square Garden, with opener Billy Squier. It was a double header. Billy played for an hour and a half, including a couple of songs joined by Freddie and the boys...then the headliners played for two hours. 30 years ago. I was a kid then.

Thank you, Freddie. And happy birthday.

No comments: