Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Maybe We Should Risk Bruised Fruit After All

Some weeks ago, a friend sent me a link about an amusing product named Banana Guard. A banana shaped container keeps your fruit safe when transporting it to and from the office, etc. Amusing on the face of it, yes, but I do put bananas in Tupperware or Rubbermaid containers when giving them to the kids for school, because they get crushed if I don't. Ever wipe banana slime out of the inside of a soft lunchbox? Ewwww.

Anyway, I checked out the website (http://www.bananaguard.com/) and decided to order a couple. Not bad on price ($27 all told) considering they were shipped from Canada. And, they work! They're sort of shaped like boomerangs to account for the variation of curvature of the average banana. Pretty cool design, if you ask me. I started using the banana guards this week, after the kids returned to school after the mid winter recess.

ANYhoo, Son #1 calls me today from play rehearsal; they get about 15 minutes of downtime (including snack time) between the end of the school day and the start of rehearsal. He loves bananas as a mid afternoon nosh (as do I) and had one today. He complained to me that some of the other "play kids" said that the banana guard looks like a dildo. Then he waited for me to say something. I guessed that he didn't know what a dildo was, but didn't want to 'fess up directly. Bingo.

So we got that quick explanation over with. And then I advised him to tell his friends that if they feel like getting frisky with a boomerang, they would be welcome to -- but THIS one doesn't have batteries and all it does is guard against bruised fruit. Hopefully he'll laugh this off. Or he'll acquire an embarrassing nickname. Flip a coin?

No comments: