Friday, February 12, 2010

Putting on a Face

The older two boys were both amused and nervous when the play's director sent home a note that listed the collection of makeup and personal care products needed by each member of the cast as dress rehearsal time gets closer. Boys and girls have some different needs, but most of the list was gender neutral. You'd expect that everyone needs a comb/brush and deodorant, but most of the list was eyebrow-raising for boys at that edge of puberty:
  • black mascara
  • brown eyeshadow
  • brown eyeliner
  • peach blush
  • foundation not darker than your skin
  • pressed powder, as light as possible
  • neutral color lipstick
  • lip liner to match lipstick
  • bobby pins the same color as your hair
  • hair spray
Now of course I can't buy a makeup bag for the boys, but I did find a diabetic organizer on 75% off clearance...compartments with Velcro so the makeup won't rattle around and get destroyed. Great fun shopping last night at CVS. The cashier commented that I bought two of everything, and I paused to make sure I saw her facial expression when I said it was all for my two sons. Then I 'fessed up that it was for the school musical. And noticed the relief on the cashier's face!

This morning they had questions...could they see what "pressed powder" is, because they don't want to put anything like baby powder on their faces. And they wanted a demo of the liquid foundation, but I don't wear that...so I told them to ask their grandmother. Tee hee, I'm so bad.

No comments: