Sunday, April 11, 2010

Got Health?

My middle child has been on a "lower my carbs" plan for a couple of weeks now, and has lost four pounds. We're proud, and he's proud. His tipping point came when he literally tipped the scale at five pounds more than I weigh. We were both horrified, and he asked me what to do to change. Let's hope that he sees it through. He probably has twenty pounds to go to hit his goal, a healthy weight that will see him have a normal waistline (and not a hang-over gut).

My personal moment of horror as a college freshman came when I realized that I would always be too fat to trade clothes with any of my dorm mates unless I did something about my high school chub plus the freshman 15-20 I had gained through courtesies such as cheap, filling dining hall food, Domino's, and a really excellent local shop which made their own ice cream and delivered pints to campus at 11PM. (If you've ever been to Pat Mitchell's in Endicott, NY, you know what I mean!)

Tonight we spent the evening with two friends who are on new health plans. L is doing regular kickboxing at the gym, in addition to a more vegetable friendly diet. R has been running as part of her fitness regimen, which is taking its toll on her knees but is also showing its effect on her physique.

I have accepted it as a way of life to balance my foods so I can always fit into my clothes tomorrow and tomorrow and tomorrow. I hope that my son and our friends can find a comfortable weight where they look good to themselves and feel good from the inside out.

Now...straight to bed...no late night snacks for you! (it's 10:30PM here...LOL...)

No comments: