Friday, April 16, 2010

Happy Birthday Mom

Since she doesn't seem to care that people know her age, as I certainly don't with mine, my mother probably wouldn't mind it if I mentioned that she turns 75 today. I hauled my cookies out the door at 6:35 to the local 7-11 to find a lovely half dozen red rose bouquet, wrapped in red cellophane -- double whammy of her favorite color -- and left it on her car along with the card that we signed last night. Luckily she only lives three miles away, so plenty of time to get there before she went to work, and plenty of time to get home before the Three Amigos needed to be coaxed/cajoled/coerced into getting out of bed.

Mom has a collector's item birthday card, for more than one reason. First, it's one of those "here are all the milestones of 1935" cards, and second, it has some unique inscriptions. When Son #2 signed it, he wrote his full name as if he were endorsing a check (wishful thinking on his part, possibly). When I asked him why, he said oops he was just used to signing it that way. Wouldn't you know, the other two clown faces followed suit. So I inserted a commentary to point out that the card would be worth mega money one day. Lastly, I told hubby to get off his perch on the couch and sign his mother-in-law's card because, after 17 years of living together, I was tired of signing his freakin' name all the time. So what does he do? He writes "ME!!!!" I was the only "normal" signer in the bunch, which we all ought to find pretty scary.

Who knows how exciting my birthdays will be 30 years from now? Stay tuned.

No comments: