Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Random Musings of...

...Son of Geek Soccer Mom?!?

Yup. Last night my eight-year-old came home from camp with a yellow spiral notebook that had his initials written on the front, and the word "Personal." He informed me that he was now keeping a journal. Before bed time, he was sitting on my bed watching TV, writing in it. I asked him what kinds of things he wrote, and he said it had a lot of emotion. "Like yesterday, when you didn't walk into the room with me, when you brought me to Care?" I reminded him that I did indeed go into the breakfast room when we arrived at his camp, and I recounted our conversation. "Oh yeah," he mumbled. At once he opened the book and crossed out a tearful face that had "Sad" written next to it, and another one just below that had "Nervous" next to it.

I asked him what else makes him nervous, and he said being alone in his room with the door closed...because someone could come in and sneak up behind him and scare him. I asked him whether he knew that we lock all the doors and windows at night, and he said yes. Then I asked whether anyone had ever come in and scared him. He said no. So what was he nervous about? One of his brothers walking in. Sigh.

Oh, to be eight again, with all the anxieties. He got lots of hugs and kisses before shut-eye last night, and more than usual this morning. I wonder what else about the family might be in his journal...but at least his musings aren't on the Internet like mine. Yet.

No comments: