Wednesday, February 9, 2011

War Paint

Both my older children have taken a shine to paint ball recently (not merely the video game version but the real live version). I was just telling someone the other day that I think I'd rather have one of my eyeballs slowly removed from its socket than be put into an active paintball arena. I don't want to have anything shot at me (not even Nerf darts) but especially anything that can hurt or that can splatter all over me (yeah I know I'm SUCH a girl!). I also don't want to shoot anything at anyone else...and even if I did, my hand-eye coordination is slim to none (and Slim just left town). I found that out when my youngest wanted to play laser tag with his brothers several years ago, and I had to accompany him because he was underage. Talk about pitiful!

I think I have a blanket objection to this on a different level because it's like combat. Suiting up in helmets and protective gear which is often camouflage...hoisting a heavy metal gun loaded with paintball ammo...the arena where the kids go to play is very military in fashion. I suppose it's good to get older kids over their "fear factor" in life by having this kind of training, but I'm not comfy cozy with it.

Middle child has been all over eBay, Craig's List, etc. looking for paint ball gear and equipment to add to his wish list for 13th birthday presents. Sigh, what's a mother to do when her babies grow up to be cowboys of sorts?

No comments: