Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Music and Passion

When I look back to my childhood, I recall a seemingly endless series of attempts to fight my own emotional demons, and social struggles to become "mainstream" if you will. I wasn't allowed to study a musical instrument because my father traveled a lot and my mother didn't drive; and anyway, my family dynamic was not particularly supportive of kid activities because it was so rooted in the vicious cycle of conflict avoidance and then conflict management etc. But I have always loved music. And I love watching and listening to my own children pursue their music.

Last night I attended one of the spring concerts at our high school. My ninth grader sang in the mixed chorus. The orchestras also performed (chamber and symphony). I was pleasantly shocked by the performance of a soloist on bassoon, with the chamber group in the background. My seventh grader started bassoon this year, and I know it's a difficult instrument to play, but I had no idea that a senior in high school could do all the 32nd notes and the trilling I heard last night. Gorgeous. We also heard a Mendelssohn concerto performed by the first chair violin, accompanied by the full symphony orchestra. The sounds and the bow work were reminiscent of a pro, not a 17-year-old kid. She was dressed in a floor length red dress, which added to her overall appeal. Not surprisingly, she received a standing ovation.

It is amazing to me what some of these children achieve by the time they don the high school graduation cap and gown, particularly in contrast with the lack of achievement of other teens who spend just as much time playing video games and "hanging out" doing nothing focused. How many adults whine that they simply didn't have a chance to complete household projects or work on their stated goals for the month or the year...but watched enough American Idol to participate fully in any water cooler debate about the finalists?

Last night provided some good material for my own reflections about that Eleanor Roosevelt quote: "Life is what you make it." Some of these youngsters really have it going on. Focus, drive, passion...inspiring!

No comments: