Friday, February 17, 2012

&%$#@

Anyone who knows me personally is well aware that I don't mind peppering my speech with cuss words on occasion, for amusement and variety and for the simple reason that they have precision. However, as a rule I don't use them to hurt people. As a lover of language, my vocabulary is such that I would much rather use five dollar English words to insult someone...but I don't intend to be insulting as a rule either.

I am becoming increasingly appalled to see widespread use of name calling online, via Twitter, Facebook, blogs, etc. where it would merely be appropriate to agree to disagree. Even if someone else is immature and says something provoking, so many people keep taking the bait and rising to the challenge of who can be more vicious in the ongoing dialogue. I remember the game "Got Ya Last" growing up...but it was a kid's game and should have remained a kid's game.

This morning I became aware of a stream of comments on a professional (industry) blog that deteriorated into the questioning of people's intelligence and integrity. The Twitter component, where people have only 140 characters in which to make a single point, was characterized by swear words and "making it personal." Mind you, this was all expression of difference of point of view and philosophy on a work related topic.

I know we're all human and therefore imperfect, but do we really need to be having a contest to see how immature we can become and how low we can stoop? Our kids are watching us on the Internet too, as they are in the home and the car and the supermarket etc. and do we really want to give them that example? Sigh.

No comments: