Monday, April 30, 2012

Never Having to Say You're Sorry?

Hmm.  I think that "Love is never having to say you're sorry" line from the Love Story movie is a lot of happy hogwash.  Love includes, at least in my book, being considerate of others' feelings.  This ought to entail the occasional apology.

Normally I don't go around looking for people to apologize to me for this and that, because it's kind of obnoxious to stand there and engage in foot tapping while someone gets ready to stammer out "Sorry."  But every so often I am galled that no apology is forthcoming and I get frustrated.  There are a few people who are near and dear to me in other ways but the concept of an apology doesn't seem to be in their realm, except if they do something like bump into you accidentally.  But somehow it's uncomfortable or impossible for them to apologize for doing something that hurts on an emotional level (or neglecting to do something, which causes a different kind of hurt).  Is this a lack of capacity?  Or is it laziness?

I know it's best not to retain anger because it allows others to rent space in my head, and it affects me adversely, but it sure is stressful at times to feel like people think I should just put up with whatever they feel like dishing out.  Hey, I know -- maybe venting on my blog will help!

No comments: