Friday, April 20, 2012

Shhhhh!

Last night I attended a "pops" concert at our high school, hosted by the music honor society students and teacher advisors.  My tenth grader was at the door with some of his cronies, collecting donations for St. Jude's Children's Research Hospital -- very worthy cause.  They only asked for $3 but many of us threw more than that into the buckets.

Quite a few talented singers, dancers, and musicians performed.  Jazz, rap, vocal, broadway show, funk, rock, grunge rock, and country were some of the genres represented.  Most of the acts involved singing, and most were accompanied by a single instrument.

As such, when people in the audience started jibber jabbering, even at the pitch of a whisper, it could easily be overheard and was disruptive.  Near to where I was sitting, I noticed one of the high school's teachers with his daughter.  He is involved with the PTA and attends many evening events at the school.  He is blind.  I smiled quite a few times as I saw and heard him setting an excellent example for his daughter, commenting between acts on how good they were, applauding enthusiastically, and clapping along when this was encouraged.

I also found myself wondering how annoying it must be to have to rely completely on your ears for enjoyment, and have this diluted by other people's jibber jabbering.  Luckily the talking within several rows of us did quiet down, but I had been ready to politely ask the talkers to muster the kindness to be silent.  I thought of this again during the second act, because I sat closer to the stage after the intermission and noticed several proud parents videotaping.  Think of how much fun the playback must be, with the dilution of jibber jabbering.

As far as I could tell, a good time was had by all.  I was able to quell my own impatience after a little while.  In my opinion the second act was even better than the first.  Nice job, students!

No comments: