Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Pitching In

Yesterday was a Red Flag Day. NY metro area at high risk of fire because of prolonged dry conditions and high winds. Akin to a high terror alert.

Yesterday afternoon a massive brush fire started on Eastern Long Island, near Brookhaven National Lab and my office, a bit northeast of us. Local roads were closed for safety reasons and for access by emergency vehicles. As I exited the building to head for home around 5pm, I could smell the smoke. I headed all the way south to take a different route home because news reports told of lane closures on the Long Island Expressway due to other fires. The traffic report on the radio cautioned that the carpool lane on the Expressway was closed all the way going east, from Queens, to allow emergency vehicles to pass.

Even on the southern route home (Sunrise Highway and the Southern State Parkway) there were many fire department vehicles heading east to assist. I saw several Nassau County squads in the 45 minutes I was traveling. I was very impressed. I commend the teamwork and cooperative efforts, knowing that many of these fire departments are staffed by volunteers.

No comments: