Tuesday, January 20, 2009

I Am a Song

My village has a community summit which sponsors, among other events, an annual writing contest.  This year's theme was expressing the feelings that music stirs within us.  I wrote this back in November one evening, after singing the kids to sleep.  I was just notified that it was chosen for the anthology.  It's my pleasure to share it.

I AM A SONG

Sing me when you feel like making music in the air
Sing me when you feel like having something you can share

Sing me when you're happy so everyone can hear
Sing with arms wide open so you'll draw your loved ones near

Sing me when you're sad and it will coax your sadness out
Sing me with a broken heart, rather than cry or shout

Sing me when you're lonely and be soothed by your own voice
Sing me when you're panicked and it will help you make a choice

Sing me when you're proud and bask in your success
Sing me nice and loud and you'll be certain to impress

Sing me every day and make the most of every word
Sing me everywhere you go, and know that you'll be heard.

No comments: