Saturday, January 31, 2009

What's the Weekly Special?!?

This morning, after the kids went to the recreational program at the elementary school, my mother accompanied me to do my grocery shopping at the lovely little produce market down the road.  She walks with a cane due to severe osteoarthritis in both knees.  She decided to use the grocery cart as support while we were in the store, so the cane went into the cart.  After we were finished, we dropped by the music store so I could pick up one of the kids' NYSSMA pieces that had arrived.  When I got back to the car, she was upset.  She realized she'd left her cane in the shopping cart.  So we headed back to the market.

When we got there, a man who worked for the store was straightening up a big group of shopping carts and lining them up in front of the entrance.  I asked him if he'd seen the cane.  In broken English, he managed to communicate that he hadn't, but if he had, he would've brought it to the office.  Not especially hopeful, I headed inside to see whether someone else had found the cane and turned it in.  I caught a manager who was stocking shelves, and he said yes indeed, someone had brought the cane to the office.  He asked another manager to unlock the office for me.  As we were walking, she remarked that she tells people all the time that this is the "miracle store."  I looked at her and asked what she meant.  She said that lots of people walk in with canes, and then by the time they walk out, they don't need the canes anymore!   (Turns out that my mother is far from the only person who has been in this situation.)  When I brought my mother her cane, she was thrilled of course, and then we had a good laugh over the "miracle" remark.

That jazzed up an otherwise ordinary Saturday morning!

No comments: