Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Eat Yer Veggies!

Last night we had meatballs for dinner, with some side dishes.  After I'd put all of the food on the table, it occurred to me as I surveyed the entire collection that we had three different vegetables (sweet potatoes, cauliflower, and corn).  That didn't used to happen a year or two ago.  We have become a lot healthier (and lots more creative too) with our meals, in large part due to the pediatrician's insistence that the two older boys adopt a health plan.

In looking back over recent history, I realize that this trend has become a lot more natural, and expected.  On Friday, we went bowling with a bunch of the kids' friends from the neighborhood.  I brought snap peas and cucumbers for the kids to snack on.  For Hanukkah, I made potato latkes and also veggie latkes (zucchini, butternut squash, and yams).  No one cringes when I make spinach croquettes anymore as a side dish with dinner, and in fact Son #3 now enjoys them.  All of this is even nicer since I found a great produce market not too far from the house that has a better, fresher selection at half the price of the large supermarket chain.  

The best part?  No pangs of guilt when serving convenient but starchy dinners.  I still have to take care that I don't mangle my fingers while grating potatoes and other veggies.  Ah well, life is a process.

No comments: