Thursday, June 18, 2009

Teens Need Love Too

Riding in the hired car from LaGuardia Airport last night, my colleague's wife was joking that her teenagers would say "Hey Mom" when she walked through the door after being away in DC for five days and then they would go back to expecting the slave domestic labor, chauffering, walking ATM, etc.  I pondered what this would mean for my oldest, who'll have his 13th birthday this weekend.

He really put a smile on my face.  Big, long hugs when I walked in the door.  Big, long hugs at tuck in time.  Not the usual early morning charade today.  He actually forced himself to wake up when I went into his room to move the process along, so he could give me a hug and a kiss.  He missed me, and wasn't afraid to let me know.   Sigh, happiness really is a warm hug.  Charles Schulz was a genius.


No comments: