Thursday, September 10, 2009

Abbott & Costello En Francais

I'm making dinner tonight (boneless pork chops, green beans, and grits) and trying to have conversations with all three kids while I'm doing it. Second day of school is still fraught with lots of news about teachers and classes and which kids they saw, etc. Questions about whether I can sign forms, do we have this extra item the teacher wanted, etc.

One of the kids is taking French and had to fill out a questionnaire about how much he remembered from his vocabulary last year. There were definite gaps in his memory. Here's one example.

"Mom, what's the word for 'water' in French?"

"Eau."

"What?"

"Eau."

"Oh?"

"EAU!"

"Why do you keep saying 'Oh'?"

"Just look in the French dictionary and you'll see what I mean. I'm trying to get dinner on the table here."

(after a minute)

"OHHH. Eau."

Kinda reminds you of Who's on First, doesn't it?

No comments: