Friday, September 25, 2009

Forty-Five

Yup, today I sit firmly on the fence between 40 and 50. In 1964 when I was born, it was also a Friday, and my mom tells me it was a sunny day, as it is here on Lawn Guyland today.

I'm in a pretty good place in my life right now. All three of my children are at different stages of development, are different in their approach to school work and social dynamics, and are carving out different roles in the household. Apart from the occasional bumps in the road, it's rewarding to watch them grow and to help them along. I'm very happy and fulfilled in my work, being surrounded with smart, capable, and genuine people for the most part. We're doing all right financially, which is truly lucky. I'm in fine health and still fit into the same clothes day after day. Other than taking two days off for minor surgery last year, the last time I used any sick time was eight years ago after the birth of Son #3.

Some people think that email and Facebook and Twitter and other such Internet communication channels depersonalize relationships, but I have received such lovely greetings and messages today...and so many that it would be impossible to do over the telephone. Many people are too busy (or don't plan in advance) to be able to put a card in the mail, but I know how they feel because they typed out a short note on the computer. I've heard from old neighborhood friends who've moved across the country, relatives, college dorm mates, high school classmates, old work comrades, and even my son's clarinet teacher from last year who is now a freshman at Fredonia.

Hubby had a great birthday card waiting for me this morning and I got all sorts of hugs and kisses from the kids before school. My friend K brought a big bouquet of bright flowers. My morning hot chocolate buddy gave me a birthday cake candle and a collection of vanilla scented toiletries. J brought a box of fancy chocolates. T brought a big pot of purple mums and a hilarious card. We had a departmental birthday sing-along with chocolate cake (yes I traded my normal mid morning snack for a slab of that today) and our group cartoonist drew a great image of me rocking out to KC and the Sunshine Band in my office. R whisked me out for a lunch time stroll, and when I returned to my office C had left me a gorgeous butterfly wind chime. I really have been the object of special attention and indulgence today.

I truly feel blessed, not only because I have such wonderful people helping me celebrate today, but because they are in my life every day. Thank you. You know who you are. And I know when all of your birthdays are!

No comments: