Monday, September 7, 2009

South Shore Scenery

This afternoon the kids were otherwise occupied so Mom decided to grab her last beach afternoon before vacation ends day after tomorrow. I went to the western end of Tobay Beach and walked the four miles or so to the eastern end of Jones Beach, and then came back. Great workout!

The whisper of the waves kept me company, and so did my iPod. Anyone who has ever seen me walk with my iPod knows that I do a half walk/half dance step through some songs and sing along with many of the others. At the beach, the waves drown out my singing.

I reflected on the many sights of my two hour walk. In no particular order...
  • Hundreds of baby seagulls pecked at the sand, too tiny to be a nuisance to beachgoers, watched carefully by their elders.
  • The old and the young combed the surf and sand for shells and rocks.
  • Kids with buckets squealed with delight as they collected hermit crabs.
  • A handful of men with metal detectors and stoic expressions moved mechanically along the shore.
  • Tweens with boogie boards pretended they all were the big kahunas out there.
  • Couples, gay and hetero, strolled happily hand in hand or arm in arm.
  • A small boy managed a huge kite in the shape of an eagle, with the help of his grandparents.
  • About a dozen advertisements flew by via airplane, trying to gain our interest in alcoholic beverages, depilatory treatments, restaurants, and insurance companies. Only one was not obviously selling a product, but trying to build good will: "The pilots of United say THANK YOU."
  • Dozens of structures populated the sand close to the dunes. Some were made with logs and bedsheets. Others were based on poles with brightly colored cloths wrapped around them (someone told me these can be bought at the Jones Beach Surf Shop). A few had personality, emblazoned with American flags and sports team memorabilia.
  • A few optimistic fisherman silently waited for a bite.
  • Messages and hearts were drawn in the sand in various spots. Mystery and romance.
I'm really glad I got to do this today. And I think it will feel really good to relax later, in the last few minutes before I close my eyes for the night, as my tired limbs sink into the mattress. Ah!

No comments: