Friday, September 12, 2008

Dragons and Anniversaries

Last night, our oldest was revising a rough draft of an essay on names for his English Language Arts class.  Because hubby is Jewish, the kids have Hebrew names too.  So he wrote a paragraph explaining his English name, and one on his Hebrew name.  He also wrote a third paragraph explaining how the class did an exercise for fun, with all the kids choosing new names for themselves.  He chose Dragon because of its strength.  He definitely could have done worse.  Apropos, maybe, as I could swear I've seen him breathe fire at his brothers on occasion!

Today is our fifteenth wedding anniversary.  Gadzooks that went way too fast.  I called a local seafood/steak house to make reservations for the family for dinner tonight (yes all the kids get to celebrate with us).  The hostess asked whether we needed any highchairs.  I laughed and said thank goodness our youngest child is seven.  And I volunteered that my 44 year old husband didn't need one either.  I think she was still laughing when I hung up.

I didn't comment on 9/11 yesterday because I hadn't spoken with hubby all day about it, and wasn't sure how to gauge his feelings.  He'd been working in the post office in Church Street Station that morning, and ran with his helper once they saw the second plane hit.  Luckily all he got was a bunch of horrible memories and some shards of glass in his shoulder.  Last night, he said he didn't feel so badly about this anniversary of 9/11.  I hope the healing process is happening everywhere else too.

No comments: