Monday, October 13, 2008

Good Food Weekend

I should've known that it was a good sign that hubby said he was in the mood for pizza on Friday night.  He almost never is!  

Saturday I bought some boneless pork ribs for the BBQ, and marinated them in a combination of barbecue sauce and lemon juice.  A winner.  I also baked some banana bread in the afternoon (which I often do when we have bowling night -- guaranteed night out once a month on a Saturday).  I mixed in 1/2 cup of plain nonfat yogurt, which we happened to have in the house, and it got rave reviews at the bowling alley.  I had to write the recipe on the back of an advertisement flyer for a friend.  

Sunday morning breakfast was pancakes with Canadian bacon.  I grated a fresh pear into the batter (first time for that -- normally I do applesauce) and my ten year old said it tasted just like the pancakes at the diner.  High order compliment!  Yesterday evening we ended up having two families over for a BBQ through an unexpected chain of events.  In addition to chicken, burgers, and franks on the grill, I made a pasta recipe as a side dish (which I'd planned to make if it was just the five of us).  I had bought an 8 oz. package of imitation crab legs, and went to the manufacturer's web site for meal ideas.  King Crab Pasta Alfredo was a big hit, including my kids and my friend's five year old.  Saute 3 cloves of garlic in 1/2 cup of your fave margarine, and then add the fish (chopped or shredded) along with 3/4 cup of fat free half and half and 1/2 cup of grated Parmesan.  Season with parsley or chives and black pepper to taste.  Add skim milk to thin out if desired.  Heat through and mix with 3/4 pound to a pound of cooked pasta (we used spaghetti).  My twelve year old helped cook it.  After all, he IS taking Home Care Skills now...

No comments: