Friday, October 10, 2008

One Day Maryland Boomerang

Yesterday I arose at 4:00 so I could travel to our Maryland office for the day.  7AM Southwest shuttle, with two coworkers, to Baltimore-Washington International Airport (BWI).  A cohort of mine who works at the Maryland office was nice enough to fetch us on his way to work.  I only get to do this trip a few times a year at most, so it's a real treat.  

I work for a science publisher, in the editorial office.  Our other office does all the other functions it takes to run the business including financial services, marketing, and HR.  Many of the people in the Long Island office (over 125) have not been to the Maryland building, and I have been doing my part to try to bring someone new with me each time I go.  I'm lucky enough to have business with their marketing and IT folks that will keep me making trips.  There are some very bright, personable folks whom I wish worked closer to here so I could see them more often.  One thing that has struck me during my last two visits:  some of their operations are organized in the exact opposite way from ours, but theirs works well and so does ours.  Strange and nice, all at the same time.

Although I could've probably made productive use of a couple more hours, we left at 3:00 for BWI.  A friend who works in the area, who is also one of our remote editors, met me for dinner and a lovely chat at the airport, so I took a 6:50 flight home.  When the driver pulled up in front of my house, at 8:45PM, I noticed that the trash cans and recycling bin hadn't been taken down to the curb yet (we have Friday pickup for both).  Harumph, welcome home, Mom!  They all seemed happy to see me, though...but I was not at my most energetic this morning after such a long day.

No comments: