Wednesday, October 6, 2010

I'll Have the Lump of Dry Poison, Please

I know I'm way behind in my puzzle pages, as this one was from the August 7 edition of Newsday, but it was a fine Cryptoquote in my opinion.

Publicity is like poison: it doesn't hurt unless you swallow it. Joe Paterno

Obviously Coach Paterno has a great deal of wisdom and capability apart from this quote. It occurred to me that the quote may also be applied to bullying and guilt. You know, like the other quote "don't let anyone 'should' on you." And the old adage about sticks and stones...but many people do internalize the garbage that others say. We certainly wouldn't put any food into our mouths that we find distasteful, but human nature allows us to swallow verbal rancidity. I'm going to try to remember this quote and use it.

No comments: