Friday, November 14, 2008

Social Acceptability

Apparently I alarmed a few people with my last post, which was sad and introspective.  Sorry, gang.  Pollyanna occasionally gets a reality check. 

Something amusing just happened at work which I'll share.  I happened to overhear the last ten seconds of a coworker's phone conversation.  It went like this.  "Right.  OK.  Oh.  Thanks for your suggestion.  Bye."  Then I heard the click of the receiver going back into the cradle.  Then:  "You're out of your mind!"  Of course I started giggling at this.  Turns out that it was a contractor who was giving her an estimate for some work to the outside of her home, and she'd done the research to know that the quoted price was way too high.

I know there are other people who would have said "You're out of your mind" directly to the contractor, and possibly would have included a few other choice words.  But my coworker was being polite and pleasant (plus, she is just a very classy lady).  It's often an interesting decision whether to be socially acceptable or direct.  Both have pros and cons.  But in this case the polite script was funnier.   :-)

No comments: