Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Teach Your Children Well

Monday night I attended the parent-teacher conferences for my two elementary school students.  Boy did we hit the jackpot this year (I mean this in a good way -- usual sarcastic M.O. aside).

My fifth grader was in a really bad spot last year at this time.  I thought for sure the teacher was going to dress me down or throw a chair at me.  My son wasn't handing in a lot of homework, his attention was constantly wandering in class, his behavior was disruptive, he wasn't fitting in socially, he wasn't showing his intelligence...and it went downhill from there.  The teacher was enormously frustrated with him in just about every way.  But we perservered.  By the spring, we'd worked with the principal and the school social worker/psychologist and done some evaluations to determine that my curly haired fourth grader fit 80% of the profile of an ADD child.  Lo and behold, the teacher tried a few basic strategies with repetition and focus -- and all the behaviors improved pronto.  At the end of the year, the principal told me she had the ideal fifth grade teacher:  a stickler for classroom behavior and a stickler for academic performance, all rolled up in a patient personality.  I couldn't wait!

This year's conference had taken a complete 180 degree turn.  This fifth grade teacher is exactly what the principal promised, and my son's performance shows that he excels in a supportive environment.  Dare to be different as long as you are encouraged to be your best, no matter what.  My little guy's second grade teacher also fits this bill.  Son #3 dances to his own tune:  literally!  He loves the latest teeny bopper artists like Miley Cyrus and Vanessa Hudgens, and loves to draw butterflies and make paper snowflakes.  He holds the second highest record for jumping rope at the after school program.  He worships his girl friends and everything that is theirs.  Instead of telling him that he's a sissy, his teacher gets him to bring out his unique perspective and talents in his writing and in the books he chooses in the classroom.   He is also excelling academically.

In addition to their approach, both of these teachers have bright eyes, warm smiles, and animated voice and body language.  Their faces come alive when they are discussing individual students.  I'll bet this really helps my boys relate to them as people as well as educators.  Three cheers for the fabulous teachers out there (including my wonderful friend Jen who home schools her four children).  I have come across a few stinkers in my time, and am thankful for the winners!

Speaking of which, I hope that all of those I hold dear are able to reflect on something positive during their Thanksgiving celebrations.  Keep smiling!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I'm a female coworker who got your link from newsletter email. Guess who? You may definitely be a geek, but you don't look like one. I wish I could look as good in Lucha Libre costume. But a soccer mom? You betcha!