Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Whoo Hoo, No Apathy Today!

Normally, when I show up at our elementary school to vote before work (at 7:00 or so) there are a handful of other people voting, and the election workers outnumber us.  Not this morning!

I arrived at 6:10 to find the parking lot pretty full.  People were steadily pouring in and out of the building.  I figure there were plenty of people lined up, waiting, before the 6AM starting time, in order for that many people to be finished already.  

Inside the gymnasium, there were two or three workers at each table, whereas under normal circumstances there is often only one.  There was a gal dressed in a business suit who was walking around and approaching voters who were unsure which table was theirs.  Obviously my local area is representative of the predicted high voter turnout.  In spite of the long lines, it was very well organized and I was finished with the entire process in ten minutes.

I get the feeling that many people voted this time to try to prevent one or the other candidate from winning.   Whether that's the right reason to vote, I'm not sure.  But I was pleased to see the crowd.  Maybe some of those who have not voted much in the past will get into the groove and continue to make their mark in the future.

No comments: